Voter ID Issues

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

First and foremost, you do NOT need photo identification to vote in California.

The ONLY time you need to show any documents before voting is if you registered online or by mail AND you did not include your driver’s license, state ID or Social Security number AND it is your first time voting.

In this case only, you will be asked for documentation showing your name and address. There are more than 30 types of acceptable documentation, including a military or student ID, a utility bill, or a check from the government.

For a list of the more than 30 acceptable forms of identification, you can contact your county elections office or click here.

The acceptable forms of ID are:

  • Driver’s license or identification card
  • Passport
  • Employee identification card
  • ID card provided by a business
  • Credit or debit card
  • Military ID
  • Student ID
  • Health club ID
  • Insurance plan ID
  • Public housing ID

Any of the following types of document that show your name and address, and that are dated after the last general election, are acceptable:

  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Government check
  • Government paycheck
  • Document issued by a governmental agency
  • Sample ballot or other elections documents dated for the current election
  • Voter notification card issued by a governmental agency
  • Public housing ID card issued by a governmental agency
  • Lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency
  • Student ID card issued by a governmental agency
  • Tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency
  • Insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a governmental agency
  • Discharge certificates, pardons, or other documents issued by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence, or other matter
  • Public transportation authority senior citizen and disabled discount cards issued by a governmental agency
  • ID documents issued by a governmental disability agencies
  • ID documents issued by government homeless shelters and other government temporary or transitional facilities
  • Drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider
  • Property tax statement issued by a governmental agency
  • Vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency
  • Vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *